Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

My 8 yr old dog collapsed on her side and I picked her up

Customer Question

my 8 yr old dog collapsed on her side and I picked her up and she peed on me, is this the sign of a seizure?
Submitted: 4 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Sue. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am worried about Precious, as collapse is never a good thing. Was she conscious when you picked her up or when she collapsed?

How long ago was this episode?

Hello again, Sue. I have not heard back from you, so I will give you a generic answer as I need to log off for awhile. When a dog collapses and urinates, it can be the sign of a seizure, but it can also be a sign of other problems such as heart or lung issues, as well as other internal issue with kidneys, liver, or spleen. The most common are seizures and syncopy (a short period when the heart stops and then starts up again) that causes a massive decrease in blood pressure. I do recommend having Precious seen as soon as possible to evaluate what is going on. If she has had seizures in the past, then medication may be in order. If she has not, then you can discuss with your primary care veterinarian the pros and cons of anti-seizure medication. To determine if it is a heart condition, rather than a seizure, then she may need radiographs (x-rays) or an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart). Blood work is never a bad idea either to fully evaluate what is going on internally.

If you have any questions, please let me know, and I will be more than happy to answer them. If I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue providing and improving my services.

Also, if you are able, please give me an update on Precious and how she is doing. It is helpful for me to learn the outcome of situations (what was found and how the animals have been treated). Have a good night.

Hi Sue,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Precious. How is everything going?

Melanie Goble