Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Labored, gurgling breathing : Duke, 10 : He is a lab/

Customer Question

Labored, gurgling breathing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Duke, 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duke?
Customer: He is a lab/ Weimaraner mix. Has fatty tumors throughout his body.
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Duke, and this gurgling breathing worries me, too. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How long has he been having labored and gurgling breathing? If you look at his gums are they pink, or pale, or blue?

Can he breathe with his mouth closed, or does he have to open mouth pant to breathe?

The gurgling is a worry that he may have fluid in his lungs, and that is an emergency. If his gums are white, or blue, this is probably an emergency.

If his gums are pink, that is a better indication he is getting enough oxygen. Can you take his temperature with a thermometer?

If I could, I want to listen to him with a stethoscope, feel his pulses, palpate his lymph nodes, and if it sounds like there is fluid in his lungs, I would take a chest Xray.

There is a condition called Laryngeal paralysis that can make breathing noisy and difficult. It tends to come and go but usually gets gradually worse. There are medications that help, but some dogs with "lar par" need surgery.

Let me know about his gums, his temperature, and if there is an emergency clinic near you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His gums have a whitish tint to them. We are taking him to the nearest ER vet
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

If his gums are white, he is in trouble. Get going! Let me know what you find out and if I can help with anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

How is Duke doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hope Duke is doing better; let me know how he is.