Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My shih tzu who is blind but can hear wonderfully suddenly

Customer Question

My shih tzu who is blind but can hear wonderfully suddenly seems to be hearing me from s different direction and just circles when I call her
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She's just walking in circles to the right constantly
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes but she was recently groomed
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly and she's a rescue so I figure about 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?
Customer: She has diabetes and is blind
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Aimless wandering and, particularly, circling is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of encephalopathy - brain disorder - involving the forebrain (cerebrum and thalamus). I can understand a blind dog being confused but if this is new behavior encephalopathy needs to be considered. Both intracranial (within the skull) disorders such as brain tumor and extracranial (outside the skull) disorders such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys intoxicating the brain are considered. Her history of being diabetic should also prompt her vet to check Molly's blood sugar. Both hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia (more common) can cause her behavior.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Her seeming to hear me from the wrong direction could that be encephalopathy !

Yes, that's another indication of confusion/disorientation consistent with a brain disorder. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you I will be taking her to my vet 1st thing Monday morning ��

You're welcome. Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We had to put Molly down yesterday�� You were 100% on the money

My condolences for your loss of Molly. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much for your kind words Last night was the first night in 16 years we slept without a pup between us! My other Shih tzu died last March

Oh my. I understand. Not a good start to the year.