Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My English mastiff had bloat. took m to emergency clinic on

Customer Question

my English mastiff had bloat. took him to emergency clinic on memorial day as soon as I realized his symptoms. they performed a gvd-routine & a splenectomy. picked him up following morning & they recommended to take him to my regular vet which I have been with for 25 years, much faith in him. told me to call back at 4, I was very anxious and called sooner, wanted to take him to a critical care hospital where my st Bernard was at one time w/ same issue & he recovered & lived to be 13. my regular vet had no after hours care. picked up my dog & delivered him to critical care unit. specialist said he had pheumonia, blood not clotting , intubated, tachycardia, etc. stayed there 24 hours w/ many ivs, meds,constant monitoring & was showing no improvement. she noticed a stench from his incision & wanted to operate again w/ a 50/50 chance of recovery, not knowing the real problem. money was not an object but the odds didn't sound good. she said she had to know my decision in 1 hour. decided didn't want my boy to go thru anything more. told her to send him to heaven. she did an autoposy and found his stomach was dead. said I did the right thing. why wasn't blood flowing to the stomach from the initial surgery.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear about Dozer. My sincere condolences for your loss, after doing all you could have done for him.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

GDV is the worst and most urgent of all the emergencies we see. If his stomach was dead, devitalized from lack of blood supply, that trauma probably happened before surgery. The twisting of the stomach that occurs with bloat pinches off the blood vessels to and from the stomach, and then the muscle and other layers of the stomach die. Even if the stomach looked good at the time of surgery, enough damage had already been done that the stomach could not recover even with the blood supply was restored; it had probably been deprived of oxygen for too long.

With his blood not clotting, it sounds like he developed DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation), an abnormality of the clotting system that can occur following many serious illnesses and conditions and DIC is almost always fatal. You made the right decision to send him to heaven and not do a second surgery.

Even though you got him to surgery so quickly, it sounds like it was already too late. The stomach's blood supply must have already been compromised past the point of recovery.

Please accept my sincere sympathy and let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How are you doing? Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dozer. How is everything going?