Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

About a week ago my dog just stopped jumping on my bed and

Customer Question

Hi about a week ago my dog just stopped jumping on my bed and my sofa she used to do it all the time with no problem. Could something be wrong? She still tries to do it but doesn't make it.
JA: OK. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: She stopped jumping on my bed and sofa
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Right leg by her arm pit
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pinky?
Customer: She is a Chihuahua
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") should be the most important differential diagnosis in such a middle-aged miniature dog as Pinky. Supportive evidence of a disk may include vocalizing when approached or lifted, having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, trembling/shaking (pain responses), a change in posture such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a"hunch" in his back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Pinky's vet will want to carefully palpate (feel) about your dog's spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk. Conservative care involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves futher.

Should paresis (weakness) or paralysis arise in any limb(s), she'll need the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. Such dogs are then surgical candidates for spinal cord decompression. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.