Cynthia Metcalf
Cynthia Metcalf,
Experience:  Veterinarian at East Bay SPCA
88335079

My dog has twice very large masses on either side of the ps.

Customer Question

My dog has twice very large masses on either side of the hips. One vet said soft outside other is hard on top of hip side. Will cephalexin (2) 500mg 2x a day shrink?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Cynthia Metcalf replied 6 months ago.
There are several reasons why dogs can have masses or swellings on or under their skin. Infection is one possibility, but not the only one. They can develop begin or malignant tumors, cysts, muscle strains/spasms. Because antibiotics can have negative side effects I would recommend taking your dog into your local Veterinarin for assessment before giving him/her antibiotics. Antibiotics will only help if there is infection present.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
said it was a begin tumor on right side but not sure on left side. he moans when lies down so know it hurts. they gave me arthritis pills for him seem to help some. The antibiotics were for a skin infection a month ago but they said that it should shrink tumor as well. He has been off for 2 months and has gotten 2x larger.They gave me a script for 3 more refils but I don't want to just give if not going to help. I have been trying to research Cephalexin for dogs regarding cancer. They are asking the same questions but don't seem to be any real straight answeres. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Was just trying to see if this would help slow the process or not.

I understand your frustration. Tumors can come from a wide variety of different tissue and each one behaves differently based on what it is made of and where it is located. Some tumors can grow large quickly and then lose the blood supply, which can lead to infection. The antibiotics can help with keeping that infection low or under control, but it doesn't make the tumor go away. The only ways of making the tumor go away are surgery, chemotherapy or radiation treatment, depending on the type of tumor it is.

If your Veterinarian gave you the refills to help keep infection down in the tumor, I would follow their instructions or call them to see if they think the medication would still be helpful.

I hope this information has been helpful. Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cynthia Metcalf