Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.

Is there a problem when my dog licks the air and furniture

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a veterinarian with more than 20 years of experience. I'm happy to discuss this question with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided. To start with, there are a few different problems associated with this type of behavior:

• some types of seizures manifest as licking
  • allergies can create an intense itch that will cause a dog to lick pretty much everything
  • some dogs lick excessively as a result of nausea and digestive upset
  • some dogs do this as a compulsive/obsessive behavior
  • in moderation, this type of behavior is sometimes normal

Please let me know if you would like to share more details of your dog's situation to discuss this further.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

If you would like to attach a photo or video of what your dog is doing, please use the paperclip icon to do so. Please also tell me more about your dog: age, sex, any other symptoms, medical history, and clinical signs, and medications. I'll do my best to help.