Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a pregnent chawawa, first time, she is in labor...

Customer Question

I have a pregnent chawawa, first time, she is in labor...for about hour she has been pushing off n on...is this normal? How long should it take?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did her water break?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It hasnt that I know of
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Ok, though are you seeing her actively having contractions and straining/pushing?

Or just sporadic contractions?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has just really started pushing n winning a little, took her in my room , I have cats tjought that might be bofhering her...see her straining n pushing but cant answer for sure on contractions
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She pushes and then lays down for little bit
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did you get my answers
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you again,

We need to be very careful here. Usually we see sporadic contractions but not pushing in the first labor stage. They should then dilate and pass a fluid sac. This breaks, we see fluid, and we tend to see pups in the 20-30 minutes afterwards. So, if she is straining to pass pups without the above and has done so for an hour, this is a worry. And if she were my patient, I'd want to have a check to make sure there wasn't a failure of cervical dilation or a breech puppy preventing pups from passing. If all is well, then we can let her continue. But as small breeds can have issues with overlarge and breech pups, we'd be best to check and make sure she doesn't need help or even a c-section to get her through this safely.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tilly. How is everything going?

nekovet