Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.

My 4 year old doxie has swollen front pads/paws. There is

Customer Question

my 4 year old doxie has swollen front pads/paws. There is some ozzing between the toes. We have artificial grass and concrete. we have wooden floors inside. Nothing has changed in her enviornment or with her food. We feed her Origen -- fish formula. What can be the cause and how do we stop the problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Coco's swollen pads and paws.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• How long has Coco had this problem?
  • How long have you had her?
  • Does she spend a lot of time licking her feet?
  • Does she seem otherwise itchy?

I'm sorry it took a while for an expert to pick up your question. I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I noticed this problem a few days ago when she was living her feet alot in the evening. She doesn't seem to lick during the day. We have had her since she was about 4 months old. She isn't scratching anywhere else but she has a lot of dander, noticeable because she is black.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your reply. Typing in more now...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

The most common cause of swollen pads and paws is a form of "interdigital dermatitis". This is usually a bacterial or fungal infection that occurs secondary to allergies.

Please keep in mind there are other types of "pododermatitis" that are caused by other things like autoimmune diseases, but they are less common.

It can also result from trauma (hot pavement).

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Your original question was what could be the cause and how do you solve the problem. I've addressed potential causes above. Unfortunately, this isn't likely to be a problem you can solve at home. Coco needs to go to the vet so a diagnosis can be made and appropriate treatment prescribed. If this is due to underlying allergies, it'll take some time to develop a long-term plan for minimizing her allergy symptoms.

I want to be sure to emphasize that this is a very common age for the onset of allergies, and the fact you've not recently changed anything in her environment or with her food does nothing to rule that out. In fact, on the contrary. You canNOT be allergic to something you've never seen before. It takes a while to develop an allergy. That's why most allergies start to show up in dogs who are 3-4 years old.

In the meantime, the only thing you can do at home that is safe and might be somewhat effective at providing relief is epsom salt soaks for her feet. Fill a small tub with warm water and epsom salts and have her stand in it for 15-20 minutes while massaging it into the skin of her feet. If she'll tolerate this reasonably well, do it 2-3 times per day.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I hope this information was helpful to you.Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?