Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 5.5 yr old Mini Australian Shepherd recently was tested

Customer Question

My 5.5 yr old Mini Australian Shepherd recently was tested and showed he had very elevated liver values (ALP 2800 & ALT I think was 180) He was taking prednisone which I understand would be cause for the ALP to be heightened but even then it was quite a bit more even for a dog on medicine.I originally had brought him in because he was panting, seemed uncomfortable and kept licking his penis due to an infection. After taking the first round of antibiotic and prednisone his pant became extreme. He also has been shaking, twitching and having trembling legs plus seems to be hunching and arching his back. He isn't comfortable even in sleep he still twitches and looks like he's having muscle contractions. He also has a jaw chatter, not super extreme but noticeable.After reading several things online I looked into the raw diet as many owners said this helped their pet. I started feeding him this yesterday and he's now been off prednisone for about 36 hours. His extreme panting and respiration rate seems better, he appears a little more lively sometimes but then still somewhat depressed or sickly. He is also still twitching in his sleep but I think the standing trembling is possibly improving. My vet took X-rays yesterday and saw no abnormalities but is waiting to hear back from the radiologist plus an internal medicine specialist.I am just trying to narrow down possibilities of what might be going on with my dog. I hate to see him in discomfort and I want to be as pro-active as possible to get him the appropriate treatment he needs before anything progresses further.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

These symptoms of shaking, twitching, trembling and hunched appearaance usually indicates a neurologic issue which could be due to the elevated liver enzymes since signs of liver disease can show as neurologic signs. Also, this hunched appearance could also indicate a partial rupture of a disc in your guys back and this will interfere with the nerve supply by compressing the parts of teh spinal cord. For your guy, it is important that an Ultrasound be done on your guys liver and surrounding organs since cancer is a possibility, even though your guy is still young. I would also make sure that a thorough neurologic exam be performed and possibly a spinal tap since an Encephalitis could cause these types of symptoms. Something is very wrong with your guy and you are being an excellent advocate for your sweet guy. I am relieved that you are seeing an internal medicine specialist since they will have the diagnostics available to them to find the actual cause for your guys distress.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta