Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog is having trouble pooping. He is really struggling to

Customer Question

My dog is having trouble pooping. He is really struggling to get this done. When he does get something to come out, it is not solid, runny.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max and 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried Max. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It sounds like Max has colitis, inflammation in his colon. This can cause the lining of the colon to be swollen so that there can be a lot of straining to pass liquid, runny or mucous stool. How long has he been doing this? Is he eating? Any vomiting?

The best medications for this problem are by prescription, and you would have to have him examined by your veterinarian for things like metronidazole. It is always a good idea to examine a sample of the stool under a microscope to look for parasites as most worms and other parasites are too small to see by the naked eye.

If he is eating, and not vomiting, you could try Pepto Bismal or Imodium. I would need to know his weight to give you a safe dose.

If he is not eating or is vomiting, he really should see a veterinarian.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent. Can I help with or answer anything else? Was this helpful?