Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a 5 month old pitt pup who has a rash. He's itching s

Customer Question

Good Morning! I have a 5 month old pitt bull pup who has a rash. He's itching his ears and under belly to the point of hair loss and open soars. The rash looks like little red bumps. He's been itching for about two weeks, but the red bumps just appeared yesterday. He also has vomited 2X yesterday, but I'm unsure if it's related
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: My husband said to let you know that the rash looks more like "scales" than bumps.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Have you noted any fleas? How long have you had him for?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We purchased him when he was 8 weeks old. We haven't noticed and fleas or tickets. We've consistently had him on flea treatment. (Frontline)

Okay thanks for the additional information. I can't tell you for sure without examining him, but one common issue I see with pit bull puppies with the symptoms you are describing is demodex. This is a type of mange that puppies can get that can cause itching and scaling of the skin. It can be diagnosed by a skin scrape which will allow visualization of the mites under the microscope.

If that is the case then he will need to be treated. Treatment is typically anywhere from 1 - 3 months. It usually involves giving a medication called ivermectin, using a shampoo too help the skin and medication to help with the itching