Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Bella is 64 days pregnant and her temp dropped to 98.8 early

Customer Question

Bella is 64 days pregnant and her temp dropped to 98.8 early yesterday. She's been nesting and occasionally panting for short periods of time. She is not eating but is drinking a little water. We were sure she would have her puppies during the night but she slept most of the night. She did get up to go pee about 2:am. This morning she stood up to drink some water but laid back down and appears to resting again. I see no evidence of a discharge and no evidence of contractions. I can still feel puppy movement. Is she just having a long stage 2 labor or should I take her to set the vet this morning?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Bella. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** will do my best to help with your question.

From your description, it sounds like Bella is still in stage 1 labour. This should last no longer than 24hrs after the 1 degree temperature drop during a normal whelping. If it has been more than 24hr, it is considered an indication of an abnormal whelping, and it would be best to have your vet check her over. Stage 2 is defined by the start of active contractions. How many hours has it been since you detected her temp drop?

​Is the 64 days counted from the date of her mating, or the date of her ovulation? Is this her first litter?

Is she looking distressed or uncomfortable, or does she seem okay.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Today is 64 days from her first mating.
She seems like she is just resting. Her first recorded temp drop was around 7: am yesterday. This is her first litter
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Okay. Just so you know, gestation up to 71 days can still normal for a dog. But I would rely monitoring the signs and temperature, as you have been doing. Dogs having their first litter tend to have a bit more trouble than those who have whelped before.

​I'm sorry, but I can only see that you are in the US, but I don't know what time zone you are in. Presumably it is later than 7am where you are, so it will have been over 24hrs now? If that's the case, it would be best to take her in to your local vet as soon as you can, while everything is still nice and stable.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. I haven't heard back from you in a while. Just wanted to check in ask how Bella is doing? Has she had her pups yet?