Dani Rabwin
Dani Rabwin,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Broadway Pet Hospital
94504053

My dog is panting really hard last hour. what is wrong with

Customer Question

my dog is panting really hard for the last hour. what is wrong with her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she just had blood in her urine.
Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 6 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Dani and I'm happy to help with Kayla. Did anything happen before the panting started? Has there been any coughing, vomiting or diarrhea? Any new food or treats? Does she have any underlying medical problems? Please let me know any information you have and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts.

And when you are satisfied with your answer, please make sure to rate me as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. Thanks and I look forward to hearing any follow up information!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, none of the above. We just noticed recently that she is panting and getting louder, she's been laying in the house not being active
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she just recently peed on the floor and it looked like blood
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we gave her one alieve, and some milk about an hour ago

In general I would avoid over the counter medications such as Alieve as these can be problematic for dogs. From what you describe, it is possible that she is experiencing pain from a urinary tract infection or other urinary problem. There are also other more concerning things that can cause blood in the urine such as bleeding abnormalities. I am concerned that the panting may be due to pain. Is there a local emergency veterinary clinic you can take her to?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, we don't have any local veterinary open right now. What can we do to make sure she makes it through the night? Can we give her antibiotics?

Unfortunately I cannot make any medication recommendations in this format. She will need a veterinarian to examine her to prescribe medications. What I can tell you is that fluids are important for her now. The milk was a good thought, but I would recommend something like chicken broth, pedialyte, or the liquid from a can of tuna. I suggest you try and get her to drink, then hopefully she will sleep until you are able to get to a vet first thing in the morning. Also, are you able to take her temperature rectally? You can use a manual or digital thermometer, apply a small amount of vaseline, and put in her rectum. If you are able to do this, then please let me know her temperature (the normal range is about 99-102.0) and I can make further suggestions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay her temperature is 99.67

That is in the normal range so that is good news. Just work on getting fluids into her if you can (if she is sleeping just let her rest and don't make her drink), have her rest tonight, and then get her in to your vet in the morning.

I hope this answers your question!

Dr. Dani

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you well try everything tonight, is it okay if we check back tomorrow

You're welcome! You may certainly check in tomorrow but I do not have very flexible hours to respond during the day. You can ask for another veterinarian if you need a quick reply.

Thanks! And please remember to rate me when you are satisfied with your answer as this is how I am compensated for my time.

Dr. Dani

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok Thank You again and we will rate you

Hi there I hope Kayla is doing well. Please let me know if you have follow up questions, otherwise you can accept the answers I have provided and rate me to close this case. Thanks!

Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kayla. How is everything going?

Dani Rabwin