Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She chewed up a tube of antibiotic cream wounds : no : Honey

Customer Question

she chewed up a tube of antibiotic cream for human wounds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: no
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Honey 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Honey?
Customer: well we think she ate chewed up the tube of antibiotic cream earlier today
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: we just found it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is a poison control warning on the tube

Please let me know what the warning wording says and give me the name of this product.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Walgreens First Aid Triple Antibiotic Ointment
Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.Helps prevent infection in minor cuts, scrapes, and burns.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
bacitracin zinc, neomycin sulfate,polymyxin B
sulfate

Thanks for that I will have your answer shortly ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Good news! Honey should be just fine and there are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

1. Whatever the warning notice says this product is not likely to harm your dog in any way if swallowed, the concentration of antibiotics in these creams and ointments is well below that which we use where antibiotic tablets are prescribed for dogs. That said the odd dog might perhaps get a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhea but that's about it.

2. They put these sorts of warnings on even the most safe products these days but I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Honey's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Honey is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the antibiotic cream ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She seemed fine yesterday, but had explosive diarrhea this morning.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am in a very different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning and found your reply. I really did not expect diarrhoea to occur following this event but even so I doubt if it will be serious, however here are some ideas on how to handle things.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. a teaspoon twice a day is fine for a toy breed ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for large breeds.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Just checking in to see how Honey is today?

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?