Dani Rabwin
Dani Rabwin,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Broadway Pet Hospital

I have a litter if six pug puppies one has runny nose

Customer Question

I have a litter if six pug puppies one has runny nose sneezes it's clear with little boogers every so often
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pug's name?
Customer: No name she is #6 in a litter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: 3 week old today
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, congratulations on your new litter of puppies! Is the runny nose puppy nursing well? Is she growing at the same rate as the other puppies? As you probably know with your adult pug, this breed is prone to upper respiratory problems because of the conformation of their little faces, so they require extra care. Was the bitch up to date on vaccines? What type of bedding are the puppies on? If the area is dry, you may consider adding a humidifier to the room to keep their nasal passages hydrated. You can use a cotton ball with a small amount of warm water to wipe the nose area a couple of times per day. Have they had an initial vet check yet? If not, then I recommend you take in the entire litter to have an initial exam to make sure they have normal anatomy etc. It's possible that the puppy in question has especially closed nasal passages or other anatomic issue that may contribute to the runny nose, so a vet check is a good idea. Feel free to respond with more information or follow up questions and I'll be happy to answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dani Rabwin