Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have question concerning my dog who can not get up, does

Customer Question

I have question concerning my dog who can not get up, does that affect a dogs organs..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I have read your previous question in regards ***** ***** St Bernard. The inability to get up will not affect organ function, rotating every 2 hours is ideal to minimize risk of pressure sores, especially a dog of her size but also fluid build up in the lungs from sitting on one side for two long.

As far as liver and kidney function the recumbency will not injure or damage organs

Please let me know how else I can assist you and any additional questions you may have in regards ***** ***** dogs state

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Should we use Horst to help her stand for a short period of time will it hurt her?

There is a harness you can purchase online that is the safest way to get her up, a help 'em up harness which has a front and back handle to aid in her movement and minimize injury to your back

Until then yes I would be using a towel as a sling under the groin to help her up and outside several times daily if you are able and then rotating from side to side or even onto her chest throughout the day to minimize pressure sores

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!