Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

No actual symptoms yet. But he is always quiet and lying

Customer Question

no actual symptoms yet. But he is always quiet and lying down, and so that is difficult to quess. So far ,no vomiting, no throwing up. But I had just let them outside to do their business, looked out of the window, and saw him eating something. They had just been fed.I got them in, and went over to where he was eating, and due to all the rain only saw soggy dead Hibiscus plant leaves and one dead flower.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, he is on a strict diet. He hasn't thrown up, or had the runs. I am more concerned that as I am in charge of my daughter's two dogs and the house, and this dog is her angel, that I have made him sick. How long does it take for the "Whatever" he ate to be digested?
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not to my knowledge, but he is inclined to have skin allergies. He is not on any meds. at this time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that vets believed it better to discuss your concern should something untoward occur rather than conjecture what might occur. There was no manner in which to tell you how long it would take for an unknown to be digested. Hibiscus is toxic to dogs, however. It contains an unknown toxin which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and anorexia. Please give me an update if you wish.