Dani Rabwin
Dani Rabwin,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Broadway Pet Hospital
94504053

I have a 10 year od chihuahua who had emergency surgery 36

Customer Question

I have a 10 year od chihuahua who had emergency surgery 36 hours ago for bladder stones. They sent her home in less than 30 minutes post surgery. She will not eat or drink and has not urinated. What am I to do. Call several vest and they will not see us since we had `not been seen before and. We are over 1500 miles from our home.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Boo Boo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boo Boo?
Customer: No she been in good health until Wednesday afternooon
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 6 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear about your Chihuahua. It is not completely abnormal to not eat or drink for a day or so after surgery, but I would expect her to be eating by now. Are you giving pain medications? Pain is certainly a possibility for her current symptoms, so if you have pain medication then make sure to administer that as directed. I'm also sorry to hear that you are unable to get in to a vet. Is there a 24 hour emergency veterinary clinic near your location? They will certainly get her in even though she is not an established patient. Did one of the local vets that couldn't get you in offer a phone number for a local emergency clinic? If not, then perhaps call a local clinic or even google to find a 24 hour clinic near you so that she can be seen and get the care she needs. I hope this helps answer your question, if not please let me know.