Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

How are you today, my puppy is 12 weeks and started Monday

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: how are you today, my puppy is 12 weeks and started Monday pooping brown watery\mucus. She still eating well, playing but this is new.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Isabella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Isabella?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Breed?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- Any blood in the stool?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No vomiting
Not lethargic
No blood in
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her eye was blood shot Tuesday but today it's all better.

1- Does she have diarrhea or just the mucus in the stool?

2- Has she been dewormed? If so, do you know the name of the dewormer and how often?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lots of diarrhea, yes about 2 weeks ago it was a safe guard brand

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was 3 day treatment

Friend, when we see mucus with diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the colon. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. I would recommend having her stool re-check by family veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian to recheck her stool. If the stool is negative discuss with your vet about starting on Metronidazole.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay thank you I will use these tips and see if she starts recuperate and gets better

Fair enough.

You're welcome. :)