Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

S anus is swollen. He was a bit constipated and had a hard

Customer Question

His anus is swollen. He was a bit constipated and had a hard time pushing while outside. Now his anus is swollen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shaggy, 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shaggy?
Customer: I changed his diet around today and that may be why he was constipated
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he licking his anus?

3- Is the anus protruding outward?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is the first time his anus has done this. It kind of looks like a small donut. So yes it is sticking outward. I did see him try and lick his anus once tonight. But mainly he is not licking it. He is a maltese and weighs about 9 lbs. The only medical condition he has is that he's deaf.

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response, I was offline by the time you came back. If you would like to continue can you give me an update on how Shaggy is doing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok can you answer the original question?That is still the same. It's been several days now

Friend, what are seeing is a rectal prolapse, this is a consequence of the straining. He will need to see your family veterinarian to place the rectum back inside. In the meantime this is what you can do for the constipation and rectum:

1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.
2- Add 1-2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to his food.
3- As a stool softener you can give 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 12-24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.
5- Do not let him lick the rectum. If he does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking.

6- Keep the rectal tissue that is protruding moist with vaseline or ky jelly.

7- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.