Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

3 week old puppy. Has lump on her head and seems to be weak,

Customer Question

3 week old puppy. Has lump on her head and seems to be weak, but she is eating. I'm bottle feeding her mommy was hit by a car. She normally eats like a little pig, but barely eating now. She has zero energy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Haven't named her
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Lump seems to have fluid under it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your little pup. The fluid needs to be needle aspirated and the aspirate examined microscopically. If the fluid is pus an abscess is diagnosed and it will need to be lanced, flushed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, and a systemic antibiotic prescribed. The wound might be left open to drain or a drain may be sewn into the area. The fluid might also be serum as might be seen with non-infected trauma or even cerebrospinal fluid if that lump communicates with her brain. In summary, until we define what that lump represents, we can't know how to address it appropriately.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?