Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My Chihuahua has little spots scattered al over her vulva

Customer Question

My Chihuahua has little brown spots scattered al over her vulva she has been dragging her butt across the floor so it is most likely uncomfortable,but she seems ok otherwise ,these were not there 2 or 3 days ago.I have never seen anything like it before,do I need to take her to our vet now or will tomorrow be ok these are little raised spots not just pigmentation.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maddie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddie?
Customer: Her appetite has been a little off but I had tried her oan organic food ,she didn't like it she is back on Id now and eating o.k.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 4 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway and I am licensed veterinarian of 5 years. I understand that Maddie has some brown spots on her vulva and is apparently itchy (dragging her rear end on the floor). It sounds like Maddie potentially has a vaginal infection, which is typically yeast or bacterial in origin. This can be caused by hormones, vaginal folds, or moisture in this area. The raised spots sound like papules, which are quite itchy and can be filled with bacterial pockets forming what we call pustules.

It doesn't sound like a medical emergency, but you would want to get Maddie seen by a vet soon for medical treatment and relief in this area.

Do you happen to have a picture of the area to send me? I would like to see it as well if possible?

- Dr. H