Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).

My dog just had an operation and has had Robenacoxib but is

Customer Question

Hi, my dog just had an operation and has had Robenacoxib but is crying and in a lot of pain. The vet is closed now, I don't know what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. How old is Just?
Customer: He is 6 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Just?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 4 months ago.

Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you. I am very sorry to hear that Just seems to be in pain.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything I can give him?

Unfortunately, there are not any over-the-counter human pain medications that are safe to give to dogs so the only way to add to the pain medicine he has now would be to get him to a vet. You could see if there is an emergency vet open near you, and I would be happy to help you look into this if you'd like.

However, something you can try is a cold compress. Wrap an ice pack in a light towel and hold it on the surgical area for 15 minutes at a time. This will have a numbing and anti-inflammatory effect and can help with pain.

Where did he have surgery? (what part of his body and for what reason?)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he had a lipoma removed from his back leg
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Some people online say they can have codeine, is that correct?

Ok, great. I would try the cold compress, this will likely help for such a procedure. You can use the compress multiple times (as needed) throughout the day, just be sure to leave at least 15 minutes between each compress (with the ice pack off) and do not put the ice pack directly on the skin (make sure you wrap it in a towel to prevent skin trauma)

I would not recommend giving a human medication without checking with your vet, who knows his full medical history, first. Codeine is a strong drug and can have significant side effects if not administered properly. In my opinion, it would be a bit much for a lipoma removal.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome! I hope this helps and Just feels better soon!

Please do not hesitate to contact me with additional questions or concerns. Once satisfied, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. All the best to you and Just! ~Dr. Drea

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?