Brenda Evans
Brenda Evans,
Experience:  owner/veterinarian at Evans Family Pet Care

My 4 pound chihuahua is staggering in kind of a stumble way,

Customer Question

My 4 pound chihuahua is staggering in kind of a stumble way, acting nervous, a little bothered, possible vision problems, congestion, sneezing more than normal and smelling everything like she's unsure of surroundings. I'm worried she may have digested a 150mg lithium pill according to my knowledge. Should I be seriously concerned and take her into the vet or does it need to just run it's course through her system and just keep an eye on her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: As a matter of fact, that was my first action as it seemed almost like she may have something in her paw, but there was nothing there that I could see and she didn't seemed to be in discomfort when I squeezed them one by one.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the chihuahua?
Customer: No ma'am
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Brenda Evans replied 4 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Evans. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm formulating my response now.

Did you see her ingest the lithium pill? And if so, how long ago do you think she ate it?

For a 4 pound dog, that is a very high dose of lithium. Even though we usually see more problems with chronic, long-term exposure, acute poisonings can also happen. I'd strongly recommend you take your dog in to your veterinarian so she can be properly examined and treated.

How old is your dog? Has she been vomiting? Or is there anything else she may have gotten into?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I did not personally see her ingest it, it was just a highly possible reasoning for her sudden weird actions. I checked out her feet and legs for any chance she may have injured herself but there is no boo-boos visible and I cannot think of any other reasoning for her sudden change in actions. She is 8 1/2 yrs old and has no medical history problems or illness, so I have no other possible solutions for her sudden weird change in actions. Unless there's any other possibilities I need to be aware of?

Sudden changes in behavior and mentation are concerning. If the lithium ingestion is a real possibility, I'd have her seen as soon as possible. Other possibilities include a partial seizure (or a full seizure that you didn't witness), vision issues caused by, among other possibilities, high blood pressures, an ear infection causing balance problems, or even inhaling something like a grass blade that's causing discomfort.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Brenda Evans