Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has throwing up more often, eating grass and seems

Customer Question

My dog has throwing up more often, eating grass and seems unable to drink much water. He drinks the water and then immediately throws up a large portion of what he drank. I moved
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know of, he is always eating grass durning walks.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is a silver lab named Ted and is 9 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ted?
Customer: He has always had a sensitive stomach, we feed him grain free dry food and never anything with chicken. Even that food doesn't seem to be working lately, he is very slow to eat the dry food, often putting it in his mouth and then dropping it outside his bowl.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Ted's symptoms are important - particularly at his age - but they're not pathognomonic (spcifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Ingesting nondigestible greens such as the grass suggests gastrointestinal distress. It appears to be of evolutionary benefit because it often results in vomiting which then empties the stomach of non-digestibles and infectious agents. Most important, Ted is going to become dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced if he can't retain fluids and his vomiting continues unabated.

A vet will want to throughly examine Ted including performing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests (including a specCPL blood test which is most sensitive for detecting the presence of pancreatitis - a common finding in these dogs). If such tests reveal nothing untoward, an abdominal ultrasound would be my next diagnostic of choice. Time is of the essence when a Lab is 9 years old. He doesn't have the reserve of a much younger dog and so I encourage your having him attended to at your earliest convenience. I regret that I can't be more specific for you; I, too, would need to examine and test Ted before being able to tell you how best he should be addressed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.