Sophie Knafo
Sophie Knafo,
Experience:  Clinical Assistant Professor at Tufts Univeristy

Our 11 year old dog passed suddenly. She did have many

Customer Question

Our 11 year old dog passed suddenly. She did have many different health problems including thyroid ( she was on medication) she was overweight and her abdomen seemed swollen for several years. She had what I believe to be degenerative myelopathy as well. She couldn't walk and my son had to carry her to use the bathroom. With all this going on I can easily understand how she passed from medical complication . However my son is beating himself up because he gave her a bath and put a sweatshirt with a good over her and when he found her passed away her head was wrapped up in it and it was real wet . He feels she suffocated and feels responsible. her tongue was blue not sure if that's normal but would a heart attack have caused her to fidget or become restless where she would get caught up in it .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sophie Knafo replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am very sorry for the loss of Jasmine. This is surely a very difficult time for you and your family. It does sound like there were many many reasons Jasmine may have died, and most likely from one of her chronic diseases. It is impossible to know for sure without a necropsy or post-mortem exam. If you would like this done, reach out to your local veterinarian who can assist you in the process (either done by the local vet or submitted to a university or pathology lab). The issue with the sweatshirt could have just been coincidence, but like I said theres no way to know without the necropsy. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have other questions.