Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She seems to just jump up and twitch and stare into space.

Customer Question

She seems to just jump up and twitch and stare into space. Very uptight. Did you get the first part of my meesage
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: She eat weed resin out of the trash at about 6pm last night
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Eyes appear dilated, jumps up and stares into space as she shakes. When I got home at 11 last night, seemed fine, ( after have a bad trip with my hubby) running and playing, ball fetching, then slept most of the night
JA: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Remy, 11 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Remy?
Customer: Urinary incontinence starting last night
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

The symptoms you've mentioned aren't consistent with THC intoxication but, instead, an upper such as amphetamine-like drugs. What could have also been in that weed resin? Whatever Remy ingested can't be removed by inducing emesis at this late date. Instead, Remy would be treat supportively and symptomatically by her vet with sedating drugs and decontamination procedures such as activated charcoal and IV fluids in order to adsorb and hasten excretion of drugs, respectively.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We use no other drugs, don't even drink just smoke marjuana. Symptoms: dilated eyes, urine incontinence, from relaxed positions she'll jump up and twitch and stare in to space. After doing research all these symptoms seem to relate to THC poisoning and your saying the are not? T

The classic symptoms of THC intoxication are ataxia ("drunken sailor"), central nervous system depression, tremors, and vomiting within 30 minutes of ingestion. She became symptomatic much later than that and instead of depression she appears agitated. Hence, I need to consider that the marijuana was contaminated or she ingested something unrelated to it. We do occasionally see hyperesthesia (increased sensitivity to stimuli) and that's what you might be seeing at this time. You're correct, mydriasis (wide open pupils) and urinary incontinence are consistent with THC intoxication.

Thankfully, it's very difficult to seriously intoxicate a dog with THC. The minimal lethal dose of THC is greater than 1.4 grams/lb of body weight. Most dogs will normalize within 1-4 days unaided. Treatment as I mentioned above should hasten remission. Please continue our conversation if you wish.