Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has woken up twice in the past week or so,

Customer Question

Hello, my dog has woken up twice in the past week or so, crying/yelping as if in pain. I tried to feel around to see if there's any sore spots but got no reaction. He seems a little less active or hyper (he's a puppy 4months). Not sure if it's bad dreams or something more serious
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Achilles
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Achilles?
Customer: He had his booster shots but missed the date they should have been done again so he is still susceptible to everything as a puppy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Waking and vocalizing as you've mentioned indicates complex partial seizures in many cases. I can't rule out simple cramping (muscular, gastrointestinal), however, although such cramping is expected to persist after waking while seizures abate as quickly as they arise.

Complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these events and for just what you witnessed. Achilles's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Achilles should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should he suffer another event within 24 hours of another one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

His vaccine history suggests that the neurologic form of canine distemper needs to be considered at this time. Neosporosis is another infection of the central nervous system of concern at Achilles's age. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?