Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I was giving my shihtzu puppy s liquid medicine , and he

Customer Question

i was giving my shihtzu puppy his liquid medicine , and he inhaled it into his lungs, it's about 0.8m, he started coughing and sneezing, and now an hour later he is still coughing, and making noises.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: toby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: he has inflammation in his stomach, and is taking liquid antibiotics
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What medicine did you give specifically?

How many hours ago did this happen?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it happened about an hour ago
his gums are pink
his breathing rate is 84
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about your wee lad.

If this has gotten into his lungs (though sneezing and coughing can just be due to it getting into the back of the nasal passage too), then we could have an aspiration situation. So, while I am glad his gums are pink since that tells us that he is getting adequate oxygen, this nearly tripled respiratory rate is a concern. Therefore, if this has been going on for an hour, it would be ideal to have him seen just now. His local vet can listen to his chest +/- take a xray to see if we do have medication in the lungs. Depending on their findings from this, they can put him on oxygen if need be but also administer an injectable anti-inflammatory to reduce any inflammation in the upper airway and in the lungs.

Overall, we need to be very careful in these situations. While his signs do fit with upper airway inflammation, this breathing rate is a bit worrying. Therefore, if this were my patient, I would want to have him seen now to determine if there is lung involvement so that we can initiate treatment and avoid secondary aspiration pneumonia for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he stopped coughing and now he is snoring alot
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Good, I am very glad to hear that the cough has reduced. And snoring fits with what I noted about the medication potentially getting into the back of the nasal passage instead of the lungs.

If his breathing rate has reduced (ideally we'd want him around 20-30 breaths per minute), then we can give a sigh of relief here. As well, in that case, we'd want to let him settle for the short term and then can steam treat (ie using a nebulizer/humidifier or take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower to help reduce the congestion in the nasal passage. But if his snoring continues, then we'd want the local vet to potentially start anti-inflammatories to reduce that for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is this the breathing rate for a 2 month old puppy?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

What I listed above is the rate we'd be looking for in a pup at rest.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet