Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has lung cancer and only a 3000 dollar operation may

Customer Question

My dog has lung cancer and only a 3000 dollar operation may save her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is now throwing up all over the house and it has some blood in it. She I know is In pain. Herr name is ***** ***** she is about 8 years old Boxer/Pit mix.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Izzo eat anything unusual?
Customer: No and she has had 2 xrays and biotics for months. We have spent over a 1000 dollars and nothing has helped.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Izzo?
Customer: She weighs 85 pounds and has been seen by our vet since end of March. Can't seem to clear it up. They said we could try 2 mone antibotics for 2 more months but that cost 500 a month with no guarantee and probably would still need surgery.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I understand how distressing Izzy's condition is. I'm afraid that it's time to consider hospicing Izzo. I would stop all drug administration except a potent narcotic which should offer Izzo comfort in her last days. Infected cancers can't be resolved completely unless the cancer itself can be completely resected surgically - in Izzo's case that would imply that the cancer was restricted to one lung lobe which could be removed and metastasis hadn't occurred. Symptomatic therapy at this time would involve an antiemetic such as maropitant or dolasetron. More antibiotic therapy is likely to only cause more gastrointestinal distress. I'm sorry that I can't be more encouraging. Having the final kindness performed should be another consideration at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?