Dr. Stephanie
Dr. Stephanie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at San Marcos Veterinary Clinic

My dog is around 1 1/2 yrs old half min Ausssie and half

Customer Question

My dog is around 1 1/2 yrs old half min Ausssie and half chocolate lab. She is constantly itching....I mean constantly. I gave her the pill for fleas from the vet...still itching. Her belly is bright red and at her tail she several sores from gnawing and scratching. She is and inside dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stephanie replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** and I am happy to try and answer your questions. I have a few questions for you.

1) For how long has your dog been itchy?

2) What type of flea prevention was administered?

3) Did you veterinarian prescribe any other medications along with the flea prevention?

I have not heard back and will be signing off for the evening soon. I will try to answer your question but pleas respond in this thread if you need clarification or have additional questions.
Your dog may have a pyoderma, or skin infection, secondary to the flea bites and itching. If this is the case, antibiotics will need to be prescribed by your veterinarian.
In terms of reducing itch, your veterinarian can likely prescribe medication to reduce itch, but there are some over the counter remedies you can try to reduce itch. One is Benadryl ( active ingredient diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1 mg per pound of body weight. This can be administered every 12 hours.
Bathing your dog with a colloidal oatmeal based shampoo can also help to reduce itch. Be sure to lather vigorously and allow lather to sit for 10 minutes prior to rinsing.
Be sure to administer the flea prevention as prescribed by your veterinarian. If your dog continues to get flea bites and has a flea allergy, than it can be very hard to combat the itch.
Please reach out if this does not answer your questions and I am happy to answer additional questions or provide additional information.
If you feel this has been helpful, pleas rate my response. If this answer is not what you were expecting, you need clarification, or have additional questions, please respond in this thread