Dr. Stephanie
Dr. Stephanie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at San Marcos Veterinary Clinic
94451881

Border Collie has swelling along jaw line and now a lump

Customer Question

Border Collie has swelling along jaw line and now a lump starting on one side of throat. All of this happened over the last 5 hours.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Border collie's name and age?
Customer: Luke and he is a little over 2 years old. He likes to bite at bees.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luke?
Customer: He's very active and normally very healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stephanie replied 6 months ago.

Hello there. My name is***** and I am happy to try and provide some assistance this evening. Please bear with me while I prepare a response.

Has your dog previously had an allergic reaction to bee stings? Do you notice any swelling of his muzzle or around his eye? Does he seem as though he has any changes in his behavior or difficulty breathing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Never stung by a bee before. Some swelling around one side of muzzle and jaw line and a lump under jaw at top od neck below jaw line on one side only. He's calm and resting mostly right now. Not his usual playful self.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there something I can do for my dog? We live in the country. No vet at night around. I can call our vet in the a.m. but worried about tonight.

I am sorry to hear that this has happened, I am sure it has contributed to some stress this evening. Did your dog experience any other symptoms aside from the swelling and being quiet? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Many dogs can experience an allergic reaction secondary to a bee sting, which can produce varying clinical signs, ranging from localized pain and swelling only, to more severe symptoms of facial swelling, hives, vomiting, diarrhea, and collapse.

It is possible with the history that you have provided that we are indeed dealing with a bee sting or other insect envenomation. If there is only localized tissue swelling and pain present, than these will often respond to some Benadryl administration. If there are other clinical signs, however, such as what was mentioned above (vomiting, diarrhea, swelling of eyes and muzzle, hives, collapse), than these are more severe and warrant an visit to an urgent care veterinarian.

Do you know how much your dog weighs?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No other symptoms. He weights about 50 lbs.

If you have some Benadryl handy at home, you can give him 50mg by mouth, which is equal to 2 x 25mg tablets. I would recommend very careful monitoring through the evening, and if he develops any other symptoms or seems like he is having difficulty breathing, than I would urge you to seek veterinary care immediately.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I have some liquid Benadryl D. Can I use this instead of pills?

Please make sure that your pet continues to eat and drink normally, and please follow up with your regular veterinarian in the morning. Benadryl is a very safe and effective treatment for allergic type reactions, so even if this is not what is happening, it is highly unlikely that it will have any deleterious side effects.

The liquid Benadryl is generally 12.5mg/5mL. Do you mind checking your bottle to make sure that is the same concentration as what you have? Do you also mind checking the list of inactive ingredient for xylitol?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Diphenhydramine hC 125 MG
Phenylephrine hC 5mg per each 5ml

For the diphenhydramine is that 12.5mg, or 125 mg?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
12.5

OK. So, generally phenylephrine is not recommended to be administered to dogs. The toxic dose when given orally is very, very high, but I technically cannot recommend it. Is there any way to obtain diphenhydramine that does not also contain phenylephrine? Either in liquid or tablet form?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the pills too which contain 12.5 diphenyl....

Just to clarify, you have tablets that contain 12.5mg of diphenhydramine only? I am not familiar with this formulation as generally the tablets contain 25mg of diphenhydramine. I just want to clarify before I make a dose recommendation.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have children's dosage allergy pills.

Ideally, we want to administer 50mg of diphenhydramine only. If you have tablets that contain only 12.5 mg of diphenhydramine, then that would be 4 tablets. Do the tablets also contain phenylephrine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, thank you. You have been very helpful. I will try it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it only has the one ingredient. I use them for allergy symptoms. They are chewable
I'm very sensitive to allergy medications.

Ok, good. It is better to not administer the phenylephrine. I think it is safe to give 4 tablets, totaling 50mg of diphenhydramine orally, and monitor closely for resolution or swelling, or for development of any additional symptoms. If the swelling is still present in the morning, please follow up with your regular veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with an excellent answer. If you feel I have been helpful, please rate my response. If my answer was not what you were expecting, need clarification, or you have additional questions, please respond in this thread.

I know you are worried about your dog, and I really hope your dog is back to feeling better in no time. Please post an update in this thread when you can.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stephanie