Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My min pin was struck by a car did not see accodent. She was

Customer Question

My min pin was struck by a car did not see accodent. She was found laying stunned all 4 paws in the air. She been sleeping alot. Gets up to play on walks runns around bit. She alert. She had runny all black bowl movement. Im worried.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stephanie replied 4 months ago.

HI Gina. My name is***** and I am happy to try and answer your questions. When was your dog struck by the car?

Hi Gina. I have not heard back from you regarding the timing of the accident, but I will try to answer your question regarding the black bowel movement. We can see black and tarry stools when there is bleeding into the gastrointestinal tract (the stomach of small intestine). As this blood moves through the GI tract and is digested, it turns from red to black. I am very concerned with a history of trauma that there could be some bleeding internally secondary to the trauma, and this is subsequently producing the black stools. If you are able to respond in this thread and provide some additional information, I will be able to provide better advice and recommendations.