Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My german sheppard is acting weird and kicking s back left

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: my german sheppard is acting weird and kicking his back left leg very violently and licking it and kicks it away if you touch it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes nothing
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: bear and 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: no very healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when he goes outside and he is standing he scatches the dirt really fast. he might have knocked over my bowl of mineral spirits could that have absorbed up into his pads. i scrubbed his baxk leg with oatmeal flea and tick soap
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. The mineral spirits certainly can cause "burning" of the skin and then his kicking behavior. There's no specific antidote, however, and your cleaning as you've done was prudent. A large dog such as Bear won't be seriously intoxicated by those mineral spirits. May I have an update on Bear, please?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?