Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dog is slightly drooling and not eating. I think he may

Customer Question

My dog is slightly drooling and not eating. I think he may be having trouble chewing or swallowingz. He had this before a few weeks ago and antibiotics seemed to help. What could
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: What could it be and could it have resurged?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Cody is a 9.5 year old Shiba in good health otherwise.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Are the teeth in good shape, or is he in need of a dental cleaning?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
His teeth aren't in bad shape. They may be in need of cleaning.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This happened once before after we went hiking. He is lethargic and not eating.

I am curious why the vet gave him antibiotics last time... did the vet say what they were suspecting? And which antibiotic did the vet prescribe last time?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They started him on an antibiotic when they thought it was Lyme disease. However, the blood work came back as negative for that.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We threw away the antibiotic so I'm not sure the name of it.

I see. Did they run full blood work looking at organ function- kidneys, liver, etc?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He took blood, but I wasn't sure what he was looking for. I think he was looking for Lyme disease...not sure about everything else.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would it be typical for a vet to run blood work on all of these items if he thought it was Lyme disease?

It would be typical to check basic blood work AND run a Lyme test, not just the Lyme test. So I hope that's what was done. Do you have any antacids at home such as Prilosec or Pepcid A/C?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we have those medicines.

Okay. Often, the cause of drooling is either a dental problem (which antibiotics would help) or a nausea/stomach issue. Since you do not feel that the teeth could be the problem, I recommend trying a few days of antacid and a bland diet. Give 20mg of Prilosec once daily starting now. Offer a bland diet for the next few days of boiled chicken breast mixed with white rice in a 50/50 mixture. If the symptoms are worse by tomorrow, see a vet, otherwise give this a day or two with these treatments and see how things go. It can also help to give a dose of probiotic (human, or dog from a pet store) once daily.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.