Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dogs got into a bag of holly tone. They ate some but not

Customer Question

My dogs got into a bag of holly tone. They ate some but not the all of it. They try to eat it if they can get to the bushes that I put it under. Will it hurt them? What I have been reading on here is that it is not toxic but may make them have diarrhea and vomiting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: Yes it was Holly- Tone
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No they are both healthy labs. They just get into everything. I know it was only the holly tone. They ripped the bag open in the yard
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello Shawn,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Shawn,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Yes, you are right, I have dealt with just this sort of situation on a number of occasions, Holly Tone must taste good to dogs. In my experience this is not likely to be a very serious sort of problem in terms of toxicity or long term problems, however you may see some degree of vomiting and / or diarrhoea over the next 48 hours but this is rarely too serious.

Of course if symptoms do set in then this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check them over, that said there are measures which some owners take before getting a vet involved and sometimes these can be very effective,

I will list some of them below for you ...

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve them for 24 hours but make sure they have access to water.

B. The next day feed them four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If they picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce their normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for large dogs.

4. Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if either of your dogs deteriorate in any way you should have your vet check them over just to be on the safe side.

5. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if either of your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Shawn,

I am just checking back in to see how your dogs are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Holly tone...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Shawn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?