Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

I have a 2 1/2 yr old male boxer. He's never been sick

Customer Question

I have a 2 1/2 yr old male boxer. He's never been sick before. Suddenly started vomiting, not drinking water and not eating. hospitalized for 3 days for iv hydration and on flagyl, augmentum and cerenia. Elevated liver and pancreatic enzymes and high wbc/neutrophils. Been back to the vet 4 times since still elevated wbc/neutrophils. vomits every 2 days then eats ok for 2 days then it starts again. Vet put him on reglan and zantac and continues on augmentum. it's been 2 1/2 weeks and still sick. has lost 15 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that i know of
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Reggie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Reggie?
Customer: I've told them everything. No abdominal distention, voiding and stooling. but continues to be sick every 2 days after eating for 2 days. I've tried boiled chicken and rice, prescription upset GI food.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.
I'm sorry to hear about your boy. It sounds like they have not been able to come up with a diagnosis, correct. Without a diagnosis it can definitely feel like you are going in circles and not getting anywhere. It sounds like this might be pancreatitis, but sometimes the pancreatic enzyme elevations can be due to other things going on in the abdomen. With 15 pounds of weight loss I would no longer consider this to be just pancreatitis or just intestinal upset. I would no longer be treating empirically (meaning treating what we see... The high WBC is being treated with antibiotics, the vomiting with medications for intestinal upset). I would be considering a more complete diagnostic work up. These work ups can be challenging. There are a few things that your veterinarian can do... But often the most important steps, such as a complete ultrasound, have to be done by a specialist. You may needed a referral to an internist for more test. If the tests revel nothing then the gold standard for figuring these things out is an exploratory surgery with biopsies of the liver, pancreas, and intestine.
Besides this kind of work up, your veterinarian is doing pretty Utah what he can do with the information he has. The only things I would consider is... There is a better anti vomiting medication than regalan. It is cerenia... Ask your vet about it. And, oral clavamox can be irritating to the intestine. I know that he is using it because it is such a broad spectrum antibiotics, but watch and see if the vomiting usually starts in close relation to giving medication.
I hope that helps, but if you have more questions, please let me know. If not, please rate my answer. Best wishes!