Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Our fog has been sick a couple days throwing up and not

Customer Question

Hi our fog has been sick a couple days throwing up and not eating and she does not seem like herself.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we are aware of
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy and she is a yellow lab 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she drinking?

2- What is in the vomit?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is she on any medications?

6- Any diarrhea?

7- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
dog food or whatever we feed diarrhea stole some what runny....she does not seem like herself tired not very active

1- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1 hour......gums are pink

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting, lethargy and anorexia can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work and xrays as initial screening test. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter