Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Im worried. He is 11 years old, a mix of Beagle and Corgi.

Customer Question

Im worried. He is 11 years old, a mix of Beagle and Corgi. He's gums are black. Three day ago I observed him breathing heavily for about 2 hours, AND THEN SUBSIDED. iDN?
JA: Huh?
Customer: hUH? IS THAT A JOKE?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the beagle?
Customer: No. He is eating and sleeping normally, and is attentive for his age.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because your fellow was breathing heavily for a couple hours and you noticed that his gums are black.

Rapid breathing can be due to pain, excitement, anxiety, or getting overheated. In some instances it is also due to poor oxygenation due to anemia, bleeding, heart or liver disease. Because your fellow seems normal otherwise now it seems less likely that his panting was due to poor oxygenation, but you should make sure his color is good now. If his gums are all black look at his eyelids and tongue. Those should be a nice bubblegum pink.

Some dogs have both pink and black gums, it is a normal variation in pigment of the gums. We tend to see it more in black and white, or dogs that have black pigment or ticking in their coat.

This is a picture of a dog with normal gums that have some black pigment.

http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Canyx/media/IMG_5948_zpsa1d8pjub.jpg.html

The black gum areas, if they are flat and look like just pigmented areas of the gums, may be normal color. In some cases with severe dental disease they may be a response to chronic inflammation, and those will be seen around areas of infection, but that is less common.

If they are raised however and nodular that can indicate an oral melanoma and those should be checked by his veterinarian.

If the areas were bleeding and looked purple or blue/red that can indicate bleeding and bruising. See the picture in the link below for an example. Notice this dog has areas of bleeding/bruising as well as normal black pigment. Also notice how rather than a nice bubble gum pink his gums are otherwise very pale/white in color:

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/DiseaseInfo/ImageDB/EHR/EHR_001.jpg

Dogs with bleeding/bruising are having difficulty clotting. That can be due to liver disease, bone marrow disease, autoimmune disease (body attacks itself), exposure to a toxin (anticoagulant rodenticides) or a drug reaction. These pups are in real trouble and should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis.

Without seeing your fellow's gums it's hard to know how concerned to be. But if he is nice and pink otherwise and his black gum color is flat and not raised or ulcerated then he is likely fine. If you want to post a picture use the paperclip icon to upload one from your computer.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****