Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 10 yr. Old dog. She's not limping but she doesn't

Customer Question

I have a 10 yr. Old dog. She's not limping but she doesn't want to climb stairs or jump on the couch anymore. When I touch her in front of the right hind leg she'll yelp. Any idea what it might be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Bo had these signs?

Where on her right leg are you finding that she is painful? Over her wrist, near her elbow, or shoulder?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She's been like this for about 2-3 weeks. The spot is in front of the right hind leg in her abdomen. There is no hot spot or anything visible.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

First, if the pain isn't actually coming from a limb and instead is when you press on her abdomen, then a lack of lameness isn't a surprise here. As well, when dogs have abdominal discomfort, we often see a reluctance to jump (since it puts pressure on the abdomen) and use stairs (since the angle they put their body at again changes pressures in the abdomen).

Now in regards ***** ***** question, we do have a few concerns. This can be related to pancreatic pain (though usually just past the ribs instead of closer to the hind leg), secondary to organ enlargement (ie liver, spleen), secondary to kidney issues (ie infection, stones, etc), tumors in the abdomen, and in some cases related to bladder based pain (ie inflammation, bladder stones, urine crystal issues).

With this in mind, we need to tread with care. Since this has been ongoing for a few weeks already, the best option here would be to have her local vet ultrasound her abdomen. This would let them check for each of these conditions and rule out any tumors present. Depending on which is found, we may need to start her on pain relief and possible symptomatic treatment (ie antibiotics, removal of any masses or bladder stones, etc) to nip this in the bud and get her comfortable for you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi William Walker,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bo. How is everything going?

nekovet