Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He's been throwing up few days and s breath smells like

Customer Question

he's been throwing up for a few days and his breath smells like chemicals
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harley, 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?
Customer: he has always had a sensitive stomach but the smell is new.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How often is he vomiting?

Is he eating?

Does the breath smell sweet, like urine, like something rotted or like something acidic?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has been obsessively eating grass/leaves/dirt but he's done this in the past when his stomach is upset so that isn't so worrisome. He ate some kibble and cottage cheese last night ( cottage cheese is his 'go to' food when his stomach is upset). He threw that up shortly after. Just a few minutes ago he threw up some leaves and dirt.His breath smells like carpet cleaner. It's a sharp chemical smell.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the information. When there is an odd smell to the breath, especially with gastrointestinal disorders, there is always a concern that there is a deeper problem that is causing it. Gastrointestinal obstructions, kidney failure, diabetes, diabetic ketoacidosis and stomach ulcers, among others, can all cause a bad odor to the breath. If I smell something like that, my first recommendation would be to run some blood work and even consider an x-ray because there is a good chance that something more than just an upset stomach is going on. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.