Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Why did the vet say s spine is raised up and there could be

Customer Question

HI, Why did the vet say his spine is raised up and there could be soft tissue damage and that he could have neurosis because of his spine?, Do they just not know. this was at animal hospital. Also, He was walking crooked yesterday but seems to be more balanced today. I gave him a treat and he is slow to eat it but does.Do you think I could wait before taking to the vet and I probably don't need a radiologist?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

They were either referring to vertebral instability, where the vertebrae may not line up, and part of the spinal cord is compressed there, or there may be a herniated disk that is compressing on the spinal cord. You cannot see the spinal cord on an x-ray, though, because it has the same density as the fluid that surrounds it. You can only really diagnose it with an MRI or CT scan accurately. Again, compression on the spinal cord would not cause generalized disorientation. It would affect the limbs, depending on the location. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a radiologist look at the x-rays. I probably wouldn't pursue referral to a neurologist quite yet, though. If his symptoms are improving, there is nothing wrong with just monitoring him. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.