Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Is it normal 15 week old pup to constantly dig roots and

Customer Question

Is it normal for a 15 week old pup to constantly dig roots and chew on them? Is that a sign of an upset stomache? And he tries to chew concrete
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.
The short answer to your question is... Yes, that is normal. Part of it has to do with the fact that he is probably starting to teeth and they like to chew a lot at this stage, even on things that you would never expect like concrete. And part of it is just wanting to explore his environment..... To run, chase, dig, hunt. The problem is that it can cause problems. They can dig up and eat poisonous mushrooms or break a tooth on something. You can't stop these urges so I would try to redirect them. First of all, a puppy this age needs lots of attention... And needs something to do with his mind. He should be really close to finishing his shots, so try to get him in some obedience classes and take him lots of places once he is done with the vaccines. To parks, a lake, where ever he can see and experience new things. And give him a number of things to chew on. Try to tell him no when he is chewing on something he shouldn't, but follow it up by giving him something else to chew on.
They are a handful at this stage, but taking the time to tell him what is good and what is bad is important. And, if you can't supervise him then he should be contained somewhere that he can't get into trouble, such as a kennel.
I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One minute he's full of life..then he's down...I feel so bad...this is my first time ever owning an animal of any kind..he never slept this much..I'm keeping him hydrated ..he's active ...very high strung now he's not he's due for his 3rd shot June 4th..
He should be full of life.... Although puppies do wear themselves out and sleep well. He shouldn't be down. Does he act sick? Vomiting or lack of appetite? If so then I might be a bit worried about him.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He acts lazy...no diahrreah been solid he hasn't gone yet today...no vommiting his appetite is not like it has been..he eats but not much..he wants what I eat...
That might just be his temperament, but if it is something that gets worse... Or if you see vomitng or diarrhea, have him checked out to make sure something isn't wrong with him.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Parvo has me scared...what are early signs of parvo
Diarrhea is the most common. They do have decreased appetite and lethargy, but vomiting and diarrhea are the classic symptoms with the diarrhea often being the first thing you notice.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is paranoid like skittish can that be lethargy...or is that normal...he shakes alot while sleeping...all this is new...I'm trying to read and learn on puppy stages...
No, lethargy would be lack of energy and it would be all the time. Once he gets his last shots take him to some dog classes and get him out and about, it will help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you...he has a vet appt on saturday...I hope for a clean bill of health...this is new to me..
I'm sure you'll do great!
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buppy. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Buppy is doing well..he got a healthy check up on saturday..and his 3rd set of shots...today he had an episode that seems to be happening periodically...one to 2 times a week since I've had at 6 wks...he has a paranoid behavior..he bobs his head alot and he whines constantly and he hangs his head over the edge of the bed..I don't know what to do when this happens...I hold him he whines I let him outside he whines.i rub his tummy still whines...I just feel like he's in pain...but don't know where... it's happened more than once..I'm concerned. .something nerological?
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.

It could be something neurological, like a type of seizure, but it sounds like he is aware during the episodes so it could also be pain or behavioral. These kind of things can be very hard to figure out. Try to write down when they happen, how long they last and any other things you notice. I would also get just a general health blood panel done. Most things that cause symptoms like this will not show up on bloodwork, but some might (such as a liver shunt). What breed is your puppy? Sometimes the breed will give us a clue.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is chihuahua jack russel terrier mix....