Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog (6 pound chihuahua) ate a cold-eeze zinc throat

Customer Question

My dog (6 pound chihuahua) ate a cold-eeze zinc throat lozenge. Active ingredient zinc in gluconicum 2X. What do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Luckily this should not harm Juno. Zinc can be a potentially bad thing for dogs, but this is a zinc salt and it is poorly absorbed. You may see some gi upset (vomiting, diarrhea, reduced appetite) for 24 hours but very likely there will be no ill effects whatsoever.

As a precaution tonight please feed a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat and a few leash walks today 15+ minutes to help the lozenge move through more readily. If the gi upset is not resolving or he has any other ill effects please have your veterinarian evaluate him but I suspect it will pass without incident.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!