Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Our 55 lb husky doodle just ate a part of a bug repellent

Customer Question

Our 55 lb husky doodle just ate a part of a bug repellent stick that you burn. What do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Finnigan, 2.5 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Finnegan?
Customer: No, very healthy, up to date on all shots
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. Usually those sticks are made up of lemongrass and citronella. Do you know if that is what it contained?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, it was left here by the previous renters. No packaging.
The typical citronella/lemongrass sticks can cause some stomach upset, but are not toxic. And given that he didn't eat that much I wouldn't expect any problems. However, not knowing what the ingredient list is for sure, I would keep an eye on him. The only other concern is that if he swallowed the stick whole and didn't chew it up it could become stuck in his intestine. How much of a concern this is depends on how big the piece is that he swallowed. At this point I would feel pretty comfortable monitoring him. Make sure that he gets plenty of fluids and if he has any signs of illness, take him to a veterinarian.
If you want to be on the safe side, you could take him in now, however I wouldn't recommend inducing vomiting with something like this... Too much risk that it will get caught on the way back up. So, short of going in surgically or with endoscopy, the most likely thing the veterinrian would do is monitor him also. However, they can monitor a bit more that you because they have the ability to check bloodwork and make sure there is no evidence of kidney or liver stress.
I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much!!
You're welcome!
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He's fine, thank you for the follow up.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.

Glad to hear that it all worked out well!