Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 15 week old puppy...he has been changing in the

Customer Question

I have a 15 week old puppy...he has been changing in the past few days...he's jack russel and terrier mix...this is my very first puppy....he went from being a whole lot of energy craziness alert all the time too....now all he wants to do is sleep...he chews on concrete and sniffs dirt...he slightly shivers..I have his 2nd set of shots 3rd one due on the 4th of june...he just seems lifeless...he doesn't eat like he used to nor drink..I give him pedialite often..no diarreah or vommiting...is this normal? Oh and hes constantly nibbling his thigh and front back legs..he just isn't himself...how can I help him...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What color are his gums?

If you press on his abdomen from both sides, is he painful or uncomfortable?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His gums are pink....his abdomen is questionable...he tends to go for my fingers when I press on the tummy...I did it 2 times
..the second time he's ok
.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the information. His abdomen may be a little uncomfortable for him. My concerns are that he may have swallowed that is causing an obstruction, early signs of parvo or potential intestinal parasites (I would expect more vomiting and/or diarrhea but not always). Low blood sugar and anemia are possible. If the gums are pink, he probably wouldn't have severe anemia, but it is still possible to be mild to moderate. You can try rubbing a little karo syrup or honey on his gums to see if that stimulates him. If not, though, I would have your vet check him out and run a fecal exam and parvo test on him at the least. They may want to check a blood cell count for anemia or signs of infection as well. If he had eaten something fatty, it is possible to have a pancreatitis, but, again, I would expect other symptoms. Not common in a young puppy to see anyway. His symptoms do sound concerning. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One minute he's energetic and then he's out like a light...is that normal?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I try to keep him occupied..he has alot of chew toys..we play fetch the stick...he sleeps alot
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Sorry about the wait. I had to step into an appointment. It isn't uncommon for puppies to play hard and sleep hard. You see it a lot. What you don't want to see is extreme lethargy, not wanting to play at all or getting tired much quicker when playing. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have further concerns.