Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate a large bottle of men's gummy vitamins. She seems

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. My dog ate a large bottle of men's gummy vitamins. She seems to have peed all over the floor, and it is red. I expect that she ate it about 6 hours ago, which is when we left her at home. She is about 70 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ila
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ila?
Customer: The vitamins were vitafusion men's. She may have also eaten some prenatal vitamins, although it looks like she mostly spit those out.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: She is acting normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Our primary concern is the vitamin D in those gummies. It can cause acute renal failure when ingested in amounts exceeding 1800 IU/lb of body weight. Thankfully, she's a big dog but can you estimate the number of gummies ingested and tell me how many IU of vitamin D are in each one?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
400 IU in 2 gummies. She probably ate 35.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry she ate 70. So 14000 IU total.

Thank you. 1800 IU/lb x 70 lb = 126,000 IU - far higher than she ingested and so you might see transient gastrointestinal distress from ingesting such an unusual "food" but she wasn't intoxicated. You need only have a word with her.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.