Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 9 week old puppy ate a pecan . Will he be ok?

Customer Question

My 9 week old puppy ate a pecan nut. Will he be ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Pecan nuts are not toxic to any age of dog so no problem there. In this age group with such an object it probably unsafe to induce vomiting to recover it so the best plan is just to monitor your pup for present.

2. Many pups will get away with this but some pups may experience a mild transient bout of vomiting or diarrhoea.

3. If it was still in it's shell there is some degree of chance of an intestinal tract obstruction so look out for any adverse symptoms such as more severe vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if any such symptoms develop.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.