Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 9 year-old rottie suddenly developed pain in her right

Customer Question

My 9 year-old rottie suddenly developed pain in her right shoulder this afternoon, and is quite visibly limping and vocalizes discomfort with movement. I can't get her into a vet until tomorrow, but have dosed her with 650 mg aspirin every 4 hours for the past 12 hours. We've used a towel as a hammock to get her outside to relieve herself, but she really doesn't want to bear weight on that right front. I have a human Rx of Tramadol 50 mg. Would this be a better alternative than aspirin? I also have some Prednisone...would that be worth adding as an adjunct med? Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear your dog has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. It would not be the best of things to give the prednisone with or in the 24 hours after having used aspirin.

2. However Tramadol can be given with aspirin { Or on it's own } without problem and the human form is identical to the animal formulation. Tramadol is a drug which is being used more often in dogs these days, it is regarded as a potent pain killer with a high margin of safety and few side effects in dogs.

2. For pain relief in situations such as you describe a dose rate of 1 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given each 12 hours is often used, but higher doses are possible.

3. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to provide a link so they can check the accuracy of my advice and read further on the subject { The use of Tramadol in dogs }. : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Rottie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her limping ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?